Saturday, 20 July 2013

Back to the old ways I hope

I went round to a friends house the other day and they managed to spark something in me from their desktop background on their laptop. It was a Fruits Basket background. When I first got into watching anime and reading manga that was my first anime and I still love it now. It will always be my favourite. I mean, I've even cosplayed Fruits Basket, technically a crossplay due to dressing as Kyo =) I do admit I didn't do the most fantastic cosplays or that many but I was into cosplaying a lot back then. I even made myself and my friend plushies for our cosplays (which mine was kidnapped by my mum's dog and she pulled it's head off!).


The good old days of my badly fitting Kyo wig.
If I'm totally honest, for the last 3 years or so I haven't bothered with anything like that. I do admit at the time when I first heard about anime, me and my friend when nuts about it. We would draw manga, read manga, watch anime, google photos, breath manga, go to Tokyopop Recon events in the local Waterstones dressed up. We were crazy on it, and whilst for some people out there who still are, I just seemed to fall out of the habit. My favourite manga has 23 volumes and when I first read it, I would buy them as soon as I had enough pocket money to get three, yes three because Waterstones used to have an offer of '3 for 2' on all manga books. I usually bought one or two Fruits Basket book and then another one I needed. The only reason I have so many books is purely because I once one 3rd prize in an art competition with my Goku drawing and on the same Tokoyopop night I was first in the Cosplay with my Vincent Valentine costume and I won about books.

To make a point on how far behind I am on my manga, I posted this photo on my DeviantArt profile on the 5th January 2008;
In the comments I wrote I had;
Fruits Basket 1-5
Beyond the Beyond
Recast
Vampire Doll
PHD: Phantasy Degree
King of Hell
Devil May Cry 3 1-2
Culdcept
Sorcerers and Secretaries
Shrine of the Morning Mist
Life
Psy-Comm 1-2
RedRum 327 (ThreeTwentySeven)
2xTokyopop Sneaks (1 from 2007, and the other from 2006)

Shonen Jump:

Dragon Ball Z


Of all of these, I only bought 3 more Fruits Basket volumes, 1 Culdcept, 1 Life and 1 Redrum. That's it! To say I was once nuts on anime and manga I just suddenly stopped. I have to admit that I have bought the Fruits Basket boxset on DVD and 3 more volumes today because I know I am in the mood to get reading again. 

I think it might be something to do with, and it's linked to my cosplaying really, I prefer to do things that are game or comic related, not really anime and manga like I used to. Some habits I do need to get back into I think! I just wish I had more time to do it .

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Btw your cosplays are nice :)!! Would you like to follow each other on GFC? Let me know :D

    http://loveme-lovechloe.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to follow you but I have no idea what GFC means! =( I'm considering doing a Fruits Basket cosplay in the future, just for old times sake as it's such a classic =)

      Delete